Sunday, 12 February 2012

New Look 6594- I adore this floral print


Ahhh, prints, how I love them.  However, the beautiful cheery floral print belies the blood, sweat and tears that went into making this skirt! Here's a link to New Look 6594, and its tragically styled envelope front.

Silly me, making another too-big garment. So many foolish beginner mistakes were made!  I realised it was too big halfway through construction but forged ahead with my head in the sand...Meaning I had to spend hours taking it in, and since I couldn't sacrifice my perfectly matched side seam....

Where is it?  *smug face*

I had to taper the yoke adjustment down to nothing at the bottom of the yoke seam, i.e it is still a bit big at that point and gets a little wavy.  Boo!  But it's probably one of those things no-one will notice :)

So... yeah, never listen to the "recommended size" on the envelope... you will only be hurt.  Measurements and muslins are your friend!

I took about 5.8cm (2.3 inches) out by the end, and next time I make it I think I'll even take more out.

Well here's another pic to cheer you up from my fitting woes.  I love, love, LOVE that print! 

4 comments:

  1. I give it to you to use the floral pattern. It's super pretty, but I'm sure it was bear to work with. So impressed with the seams though! :) Have only dabbled in sewing when my kids were very little (mostly because no one would notice if it wasn't quite right! ha). I thought your skirt was way prettier than the one on the envelope by the way.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comments! Very sweet of you- oh, and you have the honour of being my first commenter! Congrats :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely! Really well done: I'm so impressed that you've just started sewing! I wouldn't have undertaken such an extensive altering job when I was a novice.

    The print is gorgeous and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, if I didn't love the fabric so much, I would have been very tempted to give up! I had to rip out my zipper! Well now I'm reliving the trauma *shudder*

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)