Saturday, 10 March 2012

Croquis and Me

Like a lot of sewing enthusiasts I've seen around the blogosphere (sorry that word still sounds so stupid to me! Haha), I am a proud owner of the Colette Sewing Handbook.  (I have yet to make any projects from it but it's on my to-do list!)

And, like many others, I have made a croquis just like Sarai recommends.  It's supposed to be so you can plan out projects on your real body shape.  So, I dressed up in my tights, got my husband to take some pictures, printed them out and traced!  (This makes it sound so easy but trust me there was a lot of fussing, cropping, taping paper to windows etc.)

I did a few in a variety of poses, and put on some heels.  I don't like the idea of going to all that trouble to dress up my croquis all nice, and her not even bothering to put on some nice shoes!

Okay, okay, enough stalling... I will now let you see my form in all its pear shaped glory- not that that was a surprise to me!

I will do a post soon showing her all nice and dressed up.  It's an inspirational way to plan, I think!

I also came across this page explaining body proportions, so I decided to divide my body up, and see where the proportions fall-  These eight divisions are supposed to be evenly spaced in the ideal human:
I am not the ideal human.

Interesting huh?  I have a short upper body (particularly from bust to waist) and short legs, and a long "rise" as it's called (crotch to waist).  I'll be keeping this concept in mind when I think about how clothing works on me :)

If you have one too, please do comment so I can check yours out!  Aren't they fun?

5 comments:

  1. You ARE the ideal human ;-) We all are!

    I love the shoes! And also how the face and hair look just like you!

    I'll be interested to see how you use this in your planning, because I still don't quite get it! I'm not really sure yet how to figure out from the croquis whether or not a particular style suits a body . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh, yeah it's true what you said about the 'ideal' human. I've got a pretty healthy body image so I do love my shape.
      I think no body type needs its "flaws" changed.

      I was thinking of doing a post showing some different experiments in proportions in clothing. It will be fun- it combines my love for drawing and experimenting!

      Delete
  2. I have not heard of a croquis, but what an interesting concept. Will have to check it out as I am working on my first Jasmine booze, and having a heck of a time getting it to fit my non-normal size.

    Also, wanted to echo the previous comment: you ARE the "ideal" human! Just because you're you. So there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is my croquis: http://www.sewingbythebook.com/2012/02/choosing-patterns-with-croquis.html

    I found it to be very helpful once I actually started using it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)