Thursday, 17 May 2012

More Miette

Look- ribbing!

I have now finished the bottom off.  And I made some more mistakes/learning opportunities!
Once I got up to the lace pattern at the bottom, I realised I didn't have enough stitches to make it work- I hadn't taken into account that my stitch count had to fit into a multiple of 8 for the lace pattern!
Whoops!  I had 2 stitches more (or 6 stitches less, depending on how you look at it)!
I decided to undo my work back and add in two more decreases, in line with the other decreases I'd made under the arms.
Another lesson to remember for next time...

Okay, so problem solved right?  Although I did realise... my cardigan is going to be extra tight in the waist.
I already decreased a bunch from the pattern to fit my small bust.  But then I did the waist decreasing as well!  I'm thinking I should have decreased 8 stitches less.  I will be ruminating on this!  I don't want it to look odd and tight with stretched out button holes at the bottom.
If I decide to change it I will have to rip out maybe 30 rows.  Scary!!!  So I will make sure it's necessary first!

Now, this is for any fellow beginners out there:
Here is how I figured out the bust:
*caution- maths ahead!*
See my explanation of gauge swatch maths here.
Basically, based on my blocked swatch, to get the 2" negative ease in the bust I needed, I had to have 128 stitches at the bust.  So that's 64 on the front and back.  The back tops out at 63 stitches.  No need to change that!  So I simply stopped increasing the front at row 25, where there were 32 stitches on each side of the front (32 x 2=64).

Okay, onto the sleeves!  Here, Gail increased the size of her sleeves to accommodate her larger arms.  I need the opposite (I have noodle arms).  I did some more maths, and to get zero ease in the arms, I need to take out four stitches!  Here's what  I'm thinking- Row 1 has you K2tog at the start of the row, and ssk at the end.  I could just do this for the next two rows as well!  Thoughts, experts?

And I have one more question for experts-  The pattern doesn't mention double pointed needles, but trying to knit my first row on the circulars was annoying, and I had to stretch the knitting out just to knit the stitches.  So- I have to buy DPNs right?  lol!  One more thing to learn about!

Gail is gone on holiday guys, so I'm like a little lost sheep.. help me out guys! :D

p.s Stay tuned for me finally finishing a garment, lol!  I'm finally hemming the skirt I've been making!

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You put a big smile on my face!

      Delete
  2. I looks great to me, regardless of the mistakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to finish it :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, it's really coming along! About kniting the sleeves with circulars, it is doable, but very hard, and it will get impossible when you reach the smaller parts of the wrists, so you should get DPN to save you alot of frustration and time. :)
    Hope it fits well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sweater is lovely!

    I used the magic loop circular method for the sleeves. Here's a link to a website with a video explanation. http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techniques I use this website a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the magic loop technique. I use that website too, it's very helpful! But I already bought myself DPNs! lol! I could have saved some money doing it this way I guess! It looks quite tricky...

      Delete
  5. Love your sweater. Another option for sleeves is to work them flat--on straights or circulars--and seam them. I don't like seaming, but dislike working on dpns even more, so avoid them as much as possible. Thus, there are several options. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way your sweater is coming along. The pattern is beautiful with the detailing around the necke and down the front. I am looking forward to seeing your finished skirt too!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this looks so lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished sewing project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so great! I am so far behind. I kind of got caught up in vacation sewing and abandoned my Miette. Must work on it this week. Your and Gail's versions are inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing yours!

      Delete
  9. This is really nice! It really looks great! You should block it before you rip it back (if you're not already planning to). You never know-- it might fit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo! So glad you mentioned the multiples of 8!!! I am just about to start the body...I hope (if I don't make any more mistakes and have to frog - AGAIN. hah!). I am not going to decrease at all, as planning to mostly wear this open and want it more boxy. Must make sure to have the right number of stitches for the bottom.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad I might have saved you the trouble of ripping back your work, that's always such a pain! I've done it plenty on this project! On the plus side, it's good practice right? :)

      Delete
  11. HI!! I'm back now, and just scrolling through my loooong reader, and I was so surprised and pleased to see this! It really looks great! This post was already a few weeks ago, so I'm very curious about where you are with it now. Did you use the DPNs? I did, as I find it MUCH easier than using a long circular and constantly having to shift the stitches for "magic loop." Looking forward to catching up with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use DPNs! I looked up magic loop but apparently you need a longer circular needle, mine is only 24". So I bought some DPNs!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)