Saturday, 26 May 2012

Owl Embroidery

Looks like another first to add to my list :)  I have completed my first embroidery!  It was fun, but like all small projects, it was over too quickly.  (Well, once I finished the planning stage anyway.. that bit took forever).

I based it on a vintage embroidery pattern I found online here.
I redesigned a chunk of it, adding some detail and refining the lines.  And here it is!


I really love the texture of embroidery.  Stitches used include lazy daisies, back stitch, satin stitch, seed stitch (which is a really fancy way of saying scattered straight stitches), stem stitch, scallop stitch, and chain stitch.  I liked using a variety of stitches.  They're all pretty basic though!

I just want to touch all the stitches!

I did this embroidery for my Mother for Mother's Day.  It's going to be put in a little frame.

My embroidery dreams are to make a set tea towels with obnoxious vintage designs like this one.  Happy fruits and veg!  And one day in the future I would like to try to incoporate it into a garment.  You have to be careful not to make it look granny-like though!
Check out this and this for some recent inspiration I have found.

I'll leave you with a close-up and a picture of the mess I made while designing it.
I call it creative chaos.


Embroidery... a hoot?  (I'm so sorry for this pun.)

16 comments:

  1. So adorable! You are very artistic Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job - those owls are so cute! My SIL would love something like this... I've only done a smidge of embroidery before. What's the stitch called on the wings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stitch on the wings is called chain stitch, it's basically interlinked lazy daisies :)

      Delete
  3. This is so cute! I love the little owls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cute! And amazing work. I love the idea of the tea towels. I have some that my great-grandmother embroidered probably 30 years ago. They are a days of the week theme. I still use the "bake day" one for wrapping up warm rolls out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you still have those old towels from your great grandmother!

      Delete
  5. This is adorable! And I'm SUPER impressed by your sketchbook - is that all your own work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! It is my sketchbook, I really didn't need to sketch owls for this design, but I decided it was a good way to force myself to practice my drawing. I used to do a lot of art, but when I got sick I stopped. I do want to get back into it though..

      Delete
  6. Just found your lovely blog :)
    The owl eyes are so cute, the way they are looking at each other! Love all the details you added, really made it so much prettier. Your mum must surely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there!

    Loving your work and a new follower. I make clothes, but I am envious of your patience with this embroidery. I'll master one thing at a time, though.

    Care to have a look.... www.bundana.blogspot.co.uk

    Catch ya later!!

    Caff x

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! That's really lovely, what a nice gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your owls! They are very charming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there anything you can't do? Those owls are adorable, your mom will love that gift. I'm really enjoying your blog, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)