Sunday, 10 June 2012

Finished- The Taffy Blouse!

Well, I finished it!  Yay!  I wanted to finish this by the end of Sew Colette, and I did....but then the weather was too awful to get photographs in time.

So here I am in my humble back yard, wearing a chiffon top at the start of winter.  I think it might be time to start planning my projects seasonally...


 I'm rather pleased with myself for managing to sew a chiffon top as a beginner!   This also marks my first top, as well as a bunch of other firsts (french seams, successful sba, working with bias, and bias binding)!

I made two muslins, and the fit isn't perfect, but it works well enough for me!  I'm going to do another post on my fitting changes :)

Guys, guys!  Check out the lack of bagginess in the bust!!
I also used a funny trick for stabilising the chiffon.  It seemed to work quite well!  Here is the tutorial I made on it.

However, cutting was still a nightmare- it was so slippery, slide-y and crazy.  I would have done a lot better with a better cutting area I think (mine wasn't wide enough to accomodate the pattern pieces, so I had to shift fabric in the middle of cutting- NOT recommended!).  In the end, I was rather surprised and pleased to find that this came out looking like a top!

The tie in the back means the fit is forgiving :)
The very full sleeves are a new look for me, but I quite like it!  Of course the famous Wellington wind had a bit of fun with them...


Heh heh :)

20 comments:

  1. Oh wow this is great. I have sewn with chiffon once and it was very very annoying. I too had to move half way through cutting one of the pieces.

    Very very good colour on you and I love the tie and the sleeves. Nice one.

    PS I hope you got some sun today :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great!! I love the color and it looks like you nailed the SBA!

    The sleeves are pretty fun, aren't they? I like how swingy they feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely top! I have lots of chiffon so this top is on my list. I don't have a suitable under garment though so I would have to make one which is why I have been putting the project off! I look forward to reading about your fitting changes and tips - you've done a great job as it fits really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your first and with chiffon. Well done. Am yet to do my first top. Some people stabilise chiffon when cutting with either tissue, underneath or muslin. Here is one tute http://www.afashionablestitch.com/2011/tips-and-tricks/the-best-tip-for-cutting-slippery-fabrics/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeahh.. Looks great jo.. And well done for tacking all new techniques at same time .. That's some fearless sewing xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fit and color are spot on! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! This is amazing! You did such a great job - I'm really impressed with your SBA and might pick your brain about how you did it. It looks fantastic on you too! And I love your GIF, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait - you live in Australia? Did I know that? (Oh, and gorgeous photos - great top!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Close- but I live in New Zealand, not Australia! :) Thanks for the compliment- you're too kind :)

      Delete
  9. Looks great! I love that red! You really did a nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jo, I just found your blog by way of your PR review of this lovely little top. I'm so glad you posted the review, as I've been looking for a bias top pattern. I completely missed this one. Love your little animation at the end. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps - I've looked for the pattern on Colette's website and PR, but couldn't find it. Can you tell me where to purchase it? Thank you!
    satinbirddesigns(at)gmail(dot)com

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks everyone! Your comments are so kind and appreciated! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your top looks beautiful! Thank you for the sizing comments, I pre-shrunk my fabric for this top yesterday - I hope mine turns out as well as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so PERFECT!!! I love the red too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing!! That's my favorite Taffy yet! I love the color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats - it turned out so good! Love that feeling of accomplishing a new technique - enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very Pretty top and I also like the pants. Nice job on color choice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just got the Colette book from the library, the Taffy Blouse is my favourite pattern from it.

    Love your gif, very cute, so Wellington! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)