Tuesday, 12 June 2012

Miette Knitalong Update

Well, it's been very slow progress on the Miette due to more newbie mistakes (I mean learning opportunities!).  Lots of ripping back and redoing!
Let me tell you the tale...

It's been a while, where were we?
Last time, I had knit to the bottom of the body and finished the ribbing.  Then of course, I discovered it was too tight at the waist.
After decreasing the stitches at the top for my small bust, I had continued on and knit the waist decreasing too.  Of course I didn't stop to think that while my bust is small, my rest of me is basically normal size (how many times do I have to learn this lesson?  lol!).
Yup, I should have decreased less!
So I was thinking I might have to rip back to the decrease rows 30 or so rows back.

Here I pinned in some knit fabric to try simulating the button band.  So snug in the waist!

Aha!  But Gail gave me some better ideas!
Here are some options:
  • Just leave it, block the hell out of it and hope it'll stretch enough (cotton does stretch quite a lot).
  • Instead of changing from 5mm needles to 4.5mm for the ribbing, stay with 5mm!  But you'll have to do the same for your sleeve cuffs, neckband and button band!
  • Change the rib from a twisted rib to a normal rib- it's more stretchy and open.  Again you'll have to do the same for the sleeve cuffs, neckband and button band.
  • Rip back to the plain knit row before the rib begins (much much less to rip back!), and sneakily add a few stitches.  Make sure you increase by a multiple of four for the rib pattern to work!

Okay, so here's what I did.  I didn't want to change the twisted rib since I had already finished the cuffs of the sleeves.  I ripped back to just before the ribbing (this was super scary and I procrastinated a lot!  lol).  I put in a lifeline before I ripped back as described here.  Phew!  My knitting didn't blow up!
I added four stitches like a sneak!  Then decided to try knitting the ribbing on the larger needles.  I got a few rows in and discovered it looked quite different to my sleeve ribbing.  Much more loose and mushy, no way did it match!  So I ripped that back too!  (What did I expect?)
I then knitted the ribbing on the smaller needles.

I also came up with 2 more ideas to ease the tightness.  I have a slight case of newbie pride for coming up with these ideas:
  •  On my first ribbing, I noticed the bind off was not stretchy.  This definitely contributed to the tightness.  I've only ever learned one bind off you see?  So this time I'm going to learn a new, stretchy one!  Elizabeth Zimmerman's Sewn Bind Off.  Wish me luck! :)
  • I also reduced the number of ribbing rows so that the cardigan is shorter i.e the bottom hits on a smaller part of me.  That way it will be less tight!  Okay, a few rows probably won't make a huge difference, but it's the concept!

Phew, I also learned I can gab on about knitting for quite a while!
I hope that other newbies can read this and learn from my mistakes.  It's good to know how many options there are if you screw up, eh?  I know I've been learning a lot.  It feels good!

8 comments:

  1. Ah! I was wondering why you were making the ribbing shorter! That's a great idea! Makes sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent reasoning! When you start to knit (really when you do anything, no matter how experienced you are, she says, with little experience) you really have to do it for the learning. The finished object will be very pride-inducing, but the learning is what makes it a creative feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's looking great! I think you are on the right track with doing a stretchy bind off. I have not tried Elizabeth Zimmerman's Sewn Bind Off yet, but I have used Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, and like it. See here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall09/FEATjssbo.php.
    And ripping back, I totally feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun project and only with experience and practice we learn x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cardi's looking great! Well done for figuring out what to do. It's certainly worked!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking awesome! I've used Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off, too, and it's very elastic and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking beautiful and great job for coming up with those fixes!
    -Kim

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. I'm just impressed by the reasoning, not that I understand it. But it sounds good. My knitting skills are limited to small cardis for small fry. Oh and hats. Simple hats. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)