Monday, 27 August 2012

Completed! Francis Revisited Sweater

Oooh I made another knit!   I'm getting knitting fever, I swear!


This one was a lot easier than Miette!  It's also a free pattern on Ravelry.  It's another top down raglan style.  This one is knit in the round.

It's a very simple design.  Of course that didn't stop me from complicating it!
The first thing I did was maths the hell out of it to figure out the ease!  I then spent a long time figuring out how to change the amount of stitches at various bits to get the shaping I wanted.  (Like, this took forever, lol.  I'm not saying it's hard, I'm just saying it took ME forever!)

The fact that it is top down means you can try it on as you go- which of course I ended up doing a LOT, to check the fit at every stage!
Based on my calculations, I put a few tweaks into it- I wanted it more fitted, so I added more decreases for the waist and more increases for the hips.  I decided to go with between 1-2 inches of negative ease for a close fitting shape.
However, I noticed my gauge was larger by the end of knitting it, so it was probably more like 0 inches of ease.   Well, it looks fine to me.  Phew!
I also wanted full length sleeves so I added length and decreases for them as well!  I aimed for about zero inches of ease in the sleeves (at the biceps).


I learned a few new skills- magic loop knitting and another bind-off!
Magic loop is one of those things that looks terribly scary, but once you learn it it's simple.  I used it on the sleeves and at the start of the neckline.  (Magic loop is used for knitting small circumference things in the round, with a circular needle.)  Why did I use magic loop?  Well, because I was too cheap to buy 6mm double pointed needles of course!

I learned Jeny's surprisingly stretchy bind off for the cowl as other Ravelers' notes mentioned a nice elastic bind off helps the cowl sit nicely.  I could have used Elizabeth Zimmerman's sewn bind off like I did on Miette, but what the heck, I wanted to learn something new :)
And of course I have put my rather large stack of notes on Ravelry.

I look so smug here, lol!
The cowl is my favourite bit.  :)

Husband making me laugh!

This was a pretty simple knit and it's so cosy.  The yarn I used is Berroco Ultra Alpaca, a wool alpaca blend.  It's soft :)  I could definitely be tempted into making another in a different colour!  Now I have the shaping figured out.. it would be so fast... hmm, very tempting indeed!

15 comments:

  1. Awesome work! Alas, my knitted object (also finished this weekend), was not such a success. Glad that one of us has been successful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your sweater is really gorgeous. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! You look wonderful in this sweater. The fit is perfect and the color is gorgeous on you. I

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing, great fit and so soft and cozy looking! I can't wait for some cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Great job. I really like to use Jenny's surprisingly stretchy bind off, only problem is that I have to look up how to do it everytime. I just can't seem to remember it. :) I say go for another version...it's a great sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful! What a nice, cozy sweater! Great job, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! I'm so excited to see it after hearing about it for so long. That last pic is adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does look like a wonderfully cozy jumper and I too love the cowl. Cool you've found a super stretchy bind off, which I'll reference next time I need it - I knit tight so always have to re-do binding off ..... I whould learn!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your sweater is great, and I like the cowl neck! One day I will have to make a top down raglan thing, too, since I still could not figure out how much ease is needed for a certain knitting project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done you! It looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cowl neck! It looks beautiful on you. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is gorgeous! I smiled when I read your comment on the magic loop-ing...I had the same impression of it before I tried it on Friday. It IS easy! Surprised me too.

    ;-D

    I may have to take a look at your notes for this when I am done my next couple projects (my queue keeps growing!!!). I love the comfy amount of ease you put on this...and the cowl is lovely.

    Nice job, Jo!

    How is the yarn? Does the alpaca have any spiky bits or is it a soft one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems really soft to me, though I'm no yarn expert! It has left a few funny hairs around the place, though lol! Hopefully all its shedding is over with soon :)

      Delete
  13. ps. have you come across Kitchener stitch yet? Just read your comment on attaching the cowl...Kitchener would be good for this. It blends right in like MAGIC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and no, I haven't tried Kitchener stitch yet- another thing on the to-do list for sure :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)