Tuesday, 2 October 2012

Fitting Ruminations

Well, here in New Zealand, warmer weather is coming, so time to start on some lighter clothing, hooray! The Pendrell Blouse, I've been anticipating for a long time.  Here I am in my muslin- I've already taken a length adjustment.

Anyway, I had an epiphany of sorts while standing in front of the mirror, contemplating my fit issues.
Warning- I'm feeling my way in fitting so let me know if you have any thoughts on this!

First of all, I will have to make a sloping shoulder adjustment.  It's causing some gaping in the back armhole.  But forget that for now okay?  (I blathered on about it a little bit here if you're interested).

I realised along with vertical folds near the shoulders, there was gaping in the neckline.
As I contemplated how to get rid of the neckline sag, I realised these issues are connected.

Here, photos make it easy to see.
Basically, my shoulders roll forward due to poor posture (no doubt due to the years of illness and tendency to hunch over a computer screen).  See how it causes the neckline to crumple?

Here I've exaggerated my poor posture.
But what happens if I try improving my posture?
Neckline looks much better right?
My posture is somewhere in between these two.

I started thinking about what I'd have to do to get the pattern to fit my poor posture.  Then I thought, wait a minute, maybe I should be changing myself, not the pattern!
Perhaps this Pendrell could be an opportunity for self improvement- what if from now on I teach myself to hold my body better?  And if I don't my punishment will be a saggy neckline and *horror* wrinkles!  lol!

Isn't it interesting how fitting increases your knowledge of how your body differs from a "standard" figure?
So, what would you do- adjust pattern, or adjust yourself?  :)

15 comments:

  1. Hehehe. That's one way of avoiding making alterations! If you pin the shoulders while wearing the toile to sit better, the neckline may stop gaping anyway. We had this exact problem in class yesterday - shoulders too slopy made the neck gape. Pinned them straighter and bingo. A quick realignment if the shoulder seams (probably different fro front and back) may fix it regardless of your posture. Bring it tomorrow night if ou like and I'll have a go xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to come back to Made on Marion but we are out to see friends tomorrow night! I will be back though!

      Delete
  2. I have poor posture and have noticed this as well. I've been making a conscious effort to sit up straight (not only for fitting issues but to heal back aches as well). Unfortunately I have a desk job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I LOVE the Pendrell pattern! it's so quick, and really flattering... and yes, I'm a sloucher too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any excuse is good to correct a poor posture :) One more thing, the gaping armscye at the back is not due to your sloping shoulder, but to the round back, which is the result of poor posture lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of forming a dart there and rotating it into the shoulder pincess seam. The feeling that I don't know what I'm doing is strong, lol!

      Delete
  5. I've had these same thoughts, Jo, and the same issue! Also, I find it interesting that there's a whole section in Fit for Real People about how many people's shoulder roll forward nowadays, due to extended computer use.

    I also noticed that when I was doing yoga daily (sadly I'm off track these days) not only did my posture improve, but I was also a full inch taller than normal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating! I feel like I should do yoga, or..y'know, ANY kind of exercise lol. But I can't be bothered yet truth be told. Really tired from my new job :(

      Delete
  6. You have come such a long way in your sewing. I wish I understood fitting alterations as well as you do. I'm learning little by little, though.

    you mention that you were ill for a long time and then got well. I wonder if you would consider doing a post explaining how you recovered from a long term illness. (sounds like a little miracle) It would be very interesting and maybe it would help somebody.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't understand fitting that well. I'm just trying my best to learn as I go! :) Just like you.

      It really was a little miracle that I got well. I'll do a post on it when it's been a year since my recovery. But maybe I should write some more on my info page. Anyway for now I'll just say I had severe M.E/CFS (chronic fatigue syndrome) and something called the Lightning Process turned it all around for me after 10 years of hell!

      Delete
  7. what a clever way to fix a fitting issue. I never would have thought of that! I agree with Lena that the gaping at your back armhole is due to a round back. I wish you all the best of luck in your fitting adventures. They can be a headache for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oof, I have this same issue! I have atrocious posture, but I never connected that the neckline gape is due to my sloping shoulders. Great observation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if you are still looking for a sewing group (saw your comment on craftster, or where in nz you live, but try http://www.meetup.com/Wellington-fabric-hoarders/ if you are local!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have actually checked it out but have yet to go to a meet-up :)

      Delete
  10. Oh posture .... mutter mutter mutter! I'm another one for crap posture and i seem to be constantly fixing something about how I stand/sit/whatever. I have to stop procrastinating on fitting stuff to my, um, uniqueness or nothing will ever fit. Sigh :O))

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)