Monday, 3 December 2012

Happy Birthday to Me (kinda)

Today is my Birthday!  Except not really.  Maybe I'll call it a...spiritual birthday?  Nahh, that sounds way too fancy.
What I mean is, a year ago today is when my life began again!

You may have noticed my blog is called "Making it Well", and I mention in my profile how I'd been sick, but now I'm well?  I thought I'd go into a little more detail since some people have expressed an interest.

Before a year ago, I'd been ill for over 10 years with M.E aka C.F.S (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).  Sometimes people think "oh, so you were a bit tired?  Yeah, I have a bit of CFS too actually."  Umm, no.  What people don't understand is the devastating levels of fatigue you can experience.  There are other symptoms too, but for me the main one was tiredness.  Fatigue that means you can't even get dressed.  Or that having a shower is about the only thing you can do in a day.
Most people just don't get it- it's hard to imagine.
I had it in varying degrees of severity over those 10 years, but basically.. hmm, I don't want to be a downer, but it was hell and really ruined my life.  I pretty much couldn't leave the house for a lot of that time.

But enough of that depressingness, I have to focus on the good bits, like how I'm finally better!  One year ago today I found the answer I'd been searching for all that time- a way out of that nightmare!
So since then, I've been trying to build up my life- trying to find out how to be a 'normal' person.

While I was sick, I still dreamed of the things I wanted to do when I was better.  I got inspired by finding blogs- people online were making stuff, really cool stuff!  I managed to make a few things, but it was painfully slow and hard.  When I got better, I could finally pursue my dreams of creativity.  And that's what the blog is about!

I still feel like I have a long way to go, in terms of the crafts I do, as well as life in general.  I've started my first job ever.  I need to learn to drive!  And I still don't know what I want to do with my life.  I'll get there... there's a future ahead of me now!

So, I guess this is a little bit of a self-indulgent waffle... but it's pretty important to me!

Oh, and if anyone is interested in how I got well- I did something called the Lightning Process, which is another story in itself.  I'd be happy to chat to anyone who wanted to know more.  I know it has helped a lot of people, including some who I know.

Yay for being alive, you guys!  I'm so glad I can live now!

25 comments:

  1. How inspiring! I am so happy you are better (must look up that Lightning Process to learn more) and that you can pursue your love of life (and crafts) to its fullest. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!!!! You look so vibrant on your blog - I never would have guessed that you've been through so much health-wise. Yay for you!!!!!

    Thanks for mentioning what helped you get better. I have a few friends with various health issues (not CFS, but other things that Wikipedia says the Lightning Process can help with) so I'll pass this information on to them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be happy to talk about it with anyone who's interested, like I said. :) It was like a miracle for me!

      Delete
  3. Happy life-begins-birthday - It's important to celebrate the milestones xx I have a friend in Perth who suffers from CFS, I'm going to send her the link to your story, I hope it can help her too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sure is a reason to celebrate! I'm so glad that your quality of life has improved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know CFS... Too well!
    Very pleased you're well now. Too right you should celebrate!
    The mind-body connection is a fascinating process to learn... Well done you! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful story! I hope that finding the new you is everything you dreamed of. And for what it's worth, I thought you were doing a pretty excellent job of being a normal person, and a particularly lovely one, when I met you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful! You have the right positive attitude. I'm so glad to managed to overcome your illness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's amazing! Thanks for sharing a bit more...and having such an inspiring, fun blog. Happy "birthday" :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is wonderful! Its lovely to hear of good things happening to nice people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. M.E. sounds so hellish. Glad to hear you are thriving x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff Jo, upwards and onwards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 'well-birthday' Jo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much! It is so lovely to hear all your words of support and kindness, onwards and upwards indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday and so glad you found a way to get healed!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday to you Jo - you've years ahead of you to discover "everything".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy wellness-birthday! :-) I'm so glad you're better, and I'm looking forward to hearing all about the new things you get up to!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy One Year Welliversary! I'm so happy you've not only gotten better and regained your life, but also that you started your blog so that we could all meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday to being well an better! You definitely deserve it. One hundred percent!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad you've recovered! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look so great in all your pics I would of never thought you were ever sick a day in your life. I'm so glad your better and your able to share all the new things your are enjoying in your life with us! So Happy Well Birthday to you and to many many more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Joanna, I recently started reading your blog (I'm a beginner knitter), and I did wonder if your illness was somehow auto-immune related, given the duration and how tired you said you were, because I can relate! For the past year or so, I have been battling auto-immune illness, and you're right: the fatigue goes way beyond being tired, and unless you've experienced it, you can't understand what it feels like. My case is not as severe as yours, but it has taken over my life and I'm very interested in the Lightning Process, as I'd never heard of it. I'm so glad it worked for you and that you were able to get your life back! Thank you for sharing this information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do try it and how it goes for you :) I hope you find your way to better health! :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)