Thursday, 28 February 2013

A Failure of Style.

Firstly:  I started up a twitter account a while back to tweet someone (is that the term?  lol!).  Anyway, I'm a complete twitter newbie, and I'm not sure I'm a natural twit (hee hee, now I'm sure that's not the term).  But I'm giving it a go.  You can find me at @Jo_MakingitWell.  Are any of you twitter converts?

Secondly, I have enabled guest commenting on Disqus, so if you don't want to make an account, you can still comment.  But seriously, get Disqus, it rules. :D 

Anyway, let's get back to my failure.
Do you ever get swept up in a vision?  Well, sometimes these visions don't work out...  That is the story of my Liesl.


Okay, you can probably tell how little I care about it from these photos.  Apparently I didn't even bother to brush my hair?? 

I guess it's not sooo bad.  I just kinda hate it.  lol.  I was utterly charmed by the pattern at first, but as I was knitting it I couldn't stop vacillating about whether I liked it or not.  Bad sign.

I think it's still a really cute design in many ways, but I think the key here is the chunky lace.  This is knitted in 10ply, on 7mm needles.  It's just so holey and chunky!


What I do like about this style is:
-Bolero!  I think these are flattering on me.
-The allure of cuteness in the form of a bow.
-Lace.

The reasons I think this fails:
-The lace isn't delicate enough.  I feel like on my frame it's just clunky.
-The bright colour and the bow make me feel too costume-y.

Back view... the scallops are still very appealing to me.
It definitely kinda stings to make this kind of misjudgement on a knitting project, as I spent a lot of time on it (all the while trying to convince myself I'd love it).  At least it was a relatively short knit.  Chunky yarn + lots of holes + cropped style = pretty fast.

Honestly, I feel it looks "crafty" (not in a good way.  I mean home-made-y.  lol!).

Would you like an out-of-focus full body shot?  Sure you do.


I'm sorry Liesl, I don't mean to treat your photoshoot with such disrespect, but I'm just not keen on you!

I can still see the ghost of what I had hoped this would become, but I don't think I'll end up wearing it.  It's just too cutesy, out-there, and chunky.  (Wow, never thought I'd find something TOO cute).

The feather and fan lace pattern is still lovely.  I have found another pattern, "Ninian" that uses it.  It's a lot more delicate and I think it would turn out better. 


Anyway, I guess I've learned a lesson here about what does and doesn't work for me!  Maybe I've been a little harsh on the finished project, but well, you've got to be honest.

Go on, muster up a smile!
Don't worry, my next knitting project has turned out a bit better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)