Saturday, 9 February 2013

Stash Situation 2013

I've been thinking a bit about my stash lately.  It was part of the reflections I did at the start of the year.  Planning less, not buying any patterns, it's all about simplification.

I personally hate when STUFF starts taking over my life.  The hoarding of stuff, the storing of stuff...
My general philosophy is that if I don't love it or need it, I don't want to have it!

Saying all that, I have managed to acquire quite a bit of fabric.  Without further ado, here it is laid out:

The STASH.
I know it's not a lot compared to some other people's, but it's enough to make me a little uncomfortable, frankly.  Mind you, I do absolutely love and treasure most of it, so I'm a little ambivalent on the matter.  What I do know though, is that I don't want to acquire much more.  I've got plenty to work with... I like to think by the end of the year it will have shrunk a bit.

Fabric Stashology Facts:
-When I first started sewing, I was a bit silly about the way I bought fabric.. I was scared if I didn't grab it there and then it would disappear forever.  But now, I only allow myself to buy fabric when it's on sale.  Most of this stuff has been bought at 40% off or more.  I plan to continue this (especially now I'm wise to sales patterns in my area!).

-I only buy fabric when I know what it's going to be used for.  I can tell you exactly what all these fabrics are destined to become!  That's another thing that helps me keep the stash in check.  Except that I got slightly carried away with planning last year and now have enough sewing dreams to last me, well, probably years, lol.  Again, making less plans is one of my goals this year!

-If I do end up topping up the stash this year, it should ideally be with winter fabrics.  Of all my fabric, most of it is summery.  Why?  Because winter fabrics I see in stores tend to come in an array of colours ranging from black to dark grey.  Why does everyone seem to think warm clothing should be so boring??  I just don't get it!  Plus of course, wool is very expensive.  Hopefully I'll find some wool that I can get excited about (next sale of course).

A close up of my pretties.  My wool is on the left- I have managed to find a bit of colourful wool knit fabric.

So many florals.  So many dreams!  (There is also a silk in there I'm too scared to use lol)
 
P.S  Here is my yarn stash:


Yarn Stashology Facts:
-I have yarn for a cardigan, a jersey and a pair of socks.  I also didn't try to make it all purple... it just happened that way, lol.  I do love purple.

-The upside of knitting is if I can't find pretty wool fabric, at least I can knit pretty winter things!

-I want this stash to stay as minimal as it is now.  In fact, I'd like to shrink it further!  The good thing about yarn is that it has less "one time only" appeal than fabric.  If I want a certain yarn, chances are it'll be available for years!  I think I'd like to only have yarn for one project ahead, ideally.

-Like my fabric stash, I only intend to buy yarn for a specified project.


So that's it.. my stashes are laid bare for the prying eyes of the internet.  What do you think?  Would you ever reveal yours to the world?  Is your stash ideology different from mine?  Tell me your stashy secrets... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)