Friday, 30 May 2014

Completed: Miette Skirt for Sewing Indie Month!

I did it! I've been wanting to make the Miette Skirt from Tilly and the Buttons forever (I say that a lot with my makes!). And the fact that I had my Miette cardigan to pair with it only sweetened the deal! Matchy heaven!

Miette + Miette. Double Miette.
Umm, and as seems to be a trend lately, by the time I finished it, it was seasonally inappropriate.  Meh, I can wait a few months to wear it I suppose. Haha. Maybe I should start a bunch of summer projects now, in the dead of winter. That'll probably work out great! But it did work in with Sewing Indie Month! I put it in the "Everyday Casual" category. And I think it'll get plenty of wear. When it warms up (lol).


This is a polycotton chambray. It's lightweight while the pattern calls for medium weight, but I thought it should be okay. And it seems to have worked. It actually holds the A-line shape quite well. I'd like to get more knowledgeable about choosing fabric and anticipating how it will sew up.

The Miette skirt is a very beginner-friendly pattern. I totally wish I'd learned to sew with Tilly's patterns! I love that she understands that beginners need hand-holding. I know a few things now though, so I used the basic instructions with no pictures, instead of using the detailed photo tutorials on her site. I screwed up a few times which slowed me down, haha! But overall it wasn't too bad.
It ran true to size (you have plenty of wriggle room with a wrap which is great!). Ahh, relax and enjoy the concept of NO fitting. :)

One thing that I didn't get satisfactory was hemming the overlap on the back pieces. Since it's on the bias it went all ripple-y and ugly when I did a folded hem!

Yuck! But I figured, "it's on the back, sooo... I can live with it".
Then when I saw this photo, I was like, "Yay! You can't even tell!"


But the camera was lying. You totally CAN tell. Eew!


Next time I hem a bias edge I'll try some tips my friends gave me on Twitter. I must try a walking foot (oh no, more gadgetry to buy!). But at least the hem of the skirt looks good!

Actually, even with my additional screw ups, I found it took quite a bit longer than I thought! It's a simple pattern, but there are actually lots of pieces, and sewing all the straight lines on the ties, turning them out, adding in pockets, all took time. The pockets are worth it though. Pockets are great!!

Pockets. Are. Great.
I didn't have any helper to level the hem, so I ended up standing in front of a mirror and eyeballing where to level it out. I'm not convinced it's worth it for such a casual skirt, but I dunno, uneven hems just bug me. I dream of having a sewing neighbour who can pop over for five minutes to level hems! Wouldn't that be a dream??

Interlude: When I went to get pictures, there was a hedgehog on my lawn! HI LITTLE GUY!!!! :D

His name is Buttons and he's a fan of Tilly. *nods*.

I noticed the Miette cardigan sits just above my waist which means it doesn't interfere with the Miette skirt's waistband. I dont know if that makes it weird looking but I'M WEARING MY MIETTE WITH MY MIETTE AND YOU CAN'T STOP MEEEE...ahem. I'm sorry, but I get really carried away when it comes to being matchy-matchy.

So I thought I'd better do a classic Tilly pose, or my best attempt at it:

Haha! And back to classic Jo:


Oh, and I get weirdly wrinkles just below the waistband at the back- this wierd pose shows it off:


It doesn't bother me as it's just a casual skirt, but I'm thinking it's related to my swayback or generous derriere, or both. No one will notice, and if they do, I'll just Tilly-pose them to death.

I think the cardigan probably looks best undone at the front! Anyway, this is a totally cute pattern, and I want to go back in time and give it to my past self, while whispering, "Watch out for that bias edge though"!
Bring on Summer! ....What do you mean, it's the start of Winter?? :(

"Meh, who can be bothered planning seasonally."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)