Saturday, 17 May 2014

Not a Garment: Hedgehog Pin Cushion

So here's something I haven't done for a while: made a ridiculous craft! I really like ridiculous cute stuff, like the bunny amigurumis I made.  But this actually does have a practical purpose! I pretty much spend half my sewing time looking for my pins and I finally decided to do something about it! 
Hopefully strapping the pins to my wrist will solve that problem.

It felt nice to just do something crafty instead of garment-related.  It's so relaxing because you can just sit down, relax, and not worry about it looking flawless. All the oddness is just hand-made charm, haha.

It's made of felt, and attached to a strap with velcro on it, so it can go around the wrist. It was all hand-stitched together with embroidery thread. You can find the pattern here.



I used the same pattern I'd previously made a pincushion from, but I printed the pattern at 55% so it'd be wrist size. I added cardboard in the base for sturdiness.

Here it is with the older pincushion (which is now a total mess! haha!).
Basically I've realised that the way I sew is a totally inefficient nightmare due to my messy, disorganised space. I've been so focused on trying to make things I haven't set aside any time to work on the important non-sewing parts of sewing (definitely hints of keeping up with the Joneses I think!). And by trying to cut corners, I've made myself slower! So I'm going to try to mix more organisational stuff in with my sewing, as I desperately need it. My sewing space is the opposite of pinterest-y, shall we say!

And here is an action shot (lol):


I haven't used it yet because I haven't been sewing much lately (life getting in the way, and all that!). I will have to try and report on whether it's a good idea in practice or not. 

The slightly shocked expression almost makes me feel bad about putting pins in the wee thing though. Heh!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)