Monday, 5 January 2015

Happy New Year! (a little late)

I wasn't sure if I could be bothered doing a year-end post (well technically I'm a little late anyway), but well, I am doing one!

I'm going to keep it brief though. Here are 5 of my favourite garments this year.

Wins:




My floral Pendrell Blouse because the fabric is beautiful, and ruffles. And because I got it to fit really well!


My burgundy Beignet because I was super scared of it and got there in the end. Also, I finally got a skirt to fit my butt, no mean feat for me!



My Washington Square cardigan. To be honest, this is a little bit of a token knit project in my top list. I guess none of my knitting projects are my favourites this year! I still like it though.


La Slyphide because I made chiffon do my bidding, and it was yet another successful make based on my bodice block, which I fully intend to thrash for the next year too. I'm at five makes using it so far.



I know I posted this recently, but my shirt dress too! Seems like a theme of ALL of my favourite makes are "Wow, it took me a lot of effort to get the pattern sorted, but I finally got there!".


Note: I don't feel like counting how many things I made. I've noticed a lot of people do this, but I prefer to stay away from these numbers. It makes my brain want to make unnecessary comparisons and judgements,which is something I'm trying to get away from! I want to not care how many things I made, as long as I made things!


Fails: 

Do I want to do these? Well, why not. It's good to learn from them.

Definitely at the head of the fails list is this cardigan:



The pattern was rotten from the start, and my fumbles to save it were unsuccessful. It's current sitting in balls. Yep, I pulled it apart!

The next I would say is my Cambie dress. Successful overall, but I spent waaaay too much time trying to get away from nipply bust darts, and the fit still isn't good enough for me. I still like it and have worn it, but I may re-attempt Cambie this year.


I think that's the extent of the garments I made that I was QUITE unsatisfied with. The rest of my fails are projects I never finished (which I might blog about), and all the fussing around I did in general over sewing. I tend towards analysis paralysis and it prevents me from powering through and getting stuff done. HOWEVER, it also means I don't make as many fails, because I think things through. I'm proud to say most of my garments this year are wearable successes! Though I definitely wear some more than others.

Bonus "fails":


My velvet skirt, which I like overall, gets on the list because I'm planning to shorten the hem this year! That hand-stitched hem (sob) has to be re-done!


Brennan cardigan. I didn't like the styling in my photos, I thought I looked very "old" and not in a cool vintage way. This is a totally cute cardigan (I want to make another, I looove the bobbles!), but it is too long to look cute with skirts and dresses. It looks good with pants, and I've worn it a bunch anyway, but I would like to improve it. I also find that the shoulders droop, so I'm considering reinforcing it somehow (if I ever get around to it). This was SO close to being just right, but it's just a little off!

Goals and Thoughts:

How did I do with last year's goals?

-Last year my goal was to break away from my own self-criticism. Did I achieve that? No. I tried though! I'm going to keep trying... if only I knew where the magic switch was to turn it off! I've got a little better though- or am I just deluding myself? lol!

-Another goal: Work with more tried-and-true patterns to reduce the time spent in muslin-town. This was a success! I made lots from my bodice block, and multiples of several garments.

-This tied into another goal: Making more mods from base patterns. I achieved this too, and hope to go on from here with more drafting!

-With life changes, I wanted to be okay with doing less sewing and blogging. I feel I did blog less, but yes, I am okay with this. I feel I may reduce my blogging even further this year (sad face), but that's sometimes what life demands.

-I also wanted to keep a tidier, better organised creative space. I sort of did this, but there's still a long way to go. Heh. No photos allowed, lol!!


This year I broke away from sewalongs and new patterns. I'm no longer interested in being one of the "cool kids", always testing new patterns and running promotions. I'm just going to pootle away doing my own thing, at my own pace (which is sometimes totally slow).
I still get frustrated at how slow and useless I feel sometimes, but there's only one way to improve, and that's practice.

It's been great continuing to do social sewing and have some silly sewing too, like my dress covered in cats :)

Me and Joy in cat-themed garments

I feel like I can totally justify stealing last years goals and using them again! Haha! If I had to add anything, it would be to be okay with being slow.
Because when I'm drafting my own stuff, of COURSE it's going to be slower than taking someone else's pattern and sewing it up per the instructions!



So there, I jumped on the bandwagon and did my round-up! Here's to another year of creativity guys! I really enjoy you sharing your creations and will endeavour to continue to share mine! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Add a comment! :)